Willingdon Island, Kochi

The Island was created during construction of modern Kochi Port in 1936 with the soil dredged out while deepening the Vembanad Lake to accommodate the new Kochi Port. It was named after Lord Willingdon, the erstwhile governor of Madras, who commissioned the project. Robert Bristow, the chief protagonist and engineer for the project, owned the first building on the island. Today the entire land belongs to Cochin Port Trust and Indian Navy


The island is also home for other establishments associated with the port, namely, the Office of the Cochin Port Trust (that controls the Port of Kochi), the Customs Office, and more than two dozen export-import offices, warehouses, a few hotels and business centers.



There are boat services connecting Island with Fortkochi, Mattancherry, Vypeen and Ernakulam city. There are two main Jetty Embarkation and Island Jetty.

Island Park is a great attraction to tourists which gives a beautiful view to Ernakulam Marine Drive, Valapadom Terminals and Fortkochi fishing nets.


It also has some best Hotels in Kochi, Taj Malabar, Casino, Trident and many more.

Search